- What is Longitude and Latitude? How do they determine positions?
- (a) Why was it vital to find a way to discover longitude?
(b) What were the schools of thought in the approach to the problem?
- What motivates John Harrison to build his clocks? (Money, prestige, reward, solving the problem of longitude or is it a combination of motives?) Write a clearly defined answer.
- Describe why the Royal Astronomers were hostile to John Harrison’s clocks
- Why did Harrison face a difficult time on the British ships where he tested the clocks?
- To what extent was John Harrison mistreated by the Board of Longitude?
- Rupert Gould became obsessed with restoring Harrison’s clocks. Describe his actions and the long term impact.
- Describe at least one “”villain”” in the story