Note: Complete the assessments in this course in the order in which they are presented.
Vila Health is considering either upgrading its current system or implementing a new one. No matter what the final decision is, as an administrator, you must be prepared for a major overhaul or change to the health information system at Vila Health.
The chief operations officer has asked you to prepare an executive summary explaining each key step involved in developing an implementation plan, including a process and timeline to collect and analyze data, generate reports, facilitate decision making, and determine the resource requirements for a health information system (HIS).
Complete the Vila Health: Health Care Information System Implementation interactive simulation, linked in the Resources. Gather preliminary information that will allow you to develop a process and timeline for a health care information system project. You may also wish to review the previous Vila Health simulations for additional information.
In addition, you may also wish to use the Capella University Library to explore topics relevant to project management for HIS implementation.
Develop a high-level plan for implementing a new or upgraded health information system.
Note: Remember that you can submit all—or a portion of—your draft plan to Smarthinking for feedback, before you submit the final version for this assessment. If you plan on using this free service, be mindful of the turnaround time of 24–48 hours for receiving feedback.
Document Format and Length
Format your implementation plan using APA style.
- Use the APA Style Paper Template, linked in the Required Resources. An APA Style Paper Tutorial is also provided (linked in the Suggested Resources) to help you in writing and formatting your plan. Be sure to include:
- A title page and references page. An abstract is not required.
- A running head on all pages.
- Appropriate section headings.
- Your implementation plan should be 4–6 pages in length, not including the title page and references page.
Cite at least two sources of credible scholarly or professional evidence to support your plan.
Note: The requirements outlined below correspond to the grading criteria in the scoring guide. Be sure that your implementation plan addresses each point, at a minimum. You may also want to read the HIS Implementation Scoring Guide to better understand how each criterion will be assessed.
- Outline a plan for collecting and analyzing data.
- What data do you need to collect and analyze?
- What are the likely sources of that data?
- How do you plan to analyze the data?
- Propose criteria for evaluating organizational needs.
- What evidence do you have that supports your proposed criteria?
- Outline a plan for generating reports.
- What information should be communicated to decision makers?
- When, and how often, should reports be generated?
- Identify the personnel and logistics needed to carry out the implementation plan.
- What are the key project requirements and considerations?
- How will you justify the needs you have identified?
- Propose a project timeline.
- What assumptions underlie your timeline?
- Consider areas of uncertainty or lack of information that could lead to delays and missed deadlines.
- What contingencies should you account for?
- Write clearly and concisely, using correct grammar, mechanics, and APA formatting.
- Express your main points and conclusions coherently.
- Proofread your writing to minimize errors that could distract readers and make it more difficult for them to focus on the substance of your plan.
Use this template for your implementation plan.
The following resources are required to complete the assessment.
- Vila Health: Health Care Information System Implementation | Transcript.
- This multimedia simulation will enable you to practice acquiring and analyzing key information, assessing business needs, identifying necessary resources, and determining a timeline for installing a new system or upgrading the existing system at one of Vila Health’s new acquisitions.