Itaewon Water Sports Complex
Itaewon Water Sports Complex (WSC) is a world class water park located in Seoul, Korea with an ideal wakeboarding venue. You are responsible for securing a wakeboarding venue for an upcoming ESPN wakeboarding competition as part of a larger action sports competition in Seoul.
You have successfully contacted the Itaewon WSC well in advance of the event and are in the final stages of the permitting process with the venue. However, one week prior to the event, you still do not have a formal permit letter from the WSC because you have not been able to supply a final list of athletes. You are not terribly worried, though, because all communication has gone smoothly with the venue and you have been verbally guaranteed that the venue is yours for the time and date you need it. Five days prior to the event you finally obtain a formal list of athletes from the wakeboarding organizing committee and are now able to finalize the permit with the WSC. You proceed down to the WSC to meet with the venue director, Mr. Lee.
Upon reviewing the list of athletes Mr. Lee notices one name that stands out. Bill Kim once worked for Mr. Lee but was fired one year ago for “on the job negligence” and “theft” at the WSC. After being fired he was warned to never come back to the WSC. Bill is one of your top competitors for this wakeboard competition and has been guaranteed a spot to compete. Mr. Lee stands firm on his decision. If Bill Kim competes, you will not have a venue for this event. The clock is ticking and there is virtually no chance to postpone the event and look for another venue.
1. Find a partner and negotiate to resolve this conflict. One student will take the role of the ESPN Event Director, the other the role of Mr. Lee, the venue director.
2. What should you do next? Can you negotiate a resolution to this problem?
3. What factors should you consider? What conflict handling style of negotiations do you use?
4. What tactics do you use? Do you have a BATNA?
5. What is the outcome of your negotiation? Be prepared to discuss with the class.