To complete the lab assignment, complete the following steps within the virtual lab:
1. Create a data sheetto record all data and calculations.
2. Obtain a 250 mL beaker and fill with water from the stock solution of water available. (This will be used to find the density of all three metals). The stock solution of water can be removed from the workbench once water is added to the beaker.
3. Obtain metal 1 from the stockroom and notice the approximate volume needed (found in the information tab).
4. Obtain a graduated cylinder that is larger than the approximate volume needed (if the needed volume is 10 mL, obtain a 25 mL graduated cylinder; if needed volume is 20 mL, obtain a 50 mL graduated cylinder).
5. Using a pipet (use appropriate size pipet for volume needed), transfer water from the beaker to the graduated cylinder.
6. Record volume transferred.
7. Obtain the scale from the stockroom.
8. Obtain a weigh boat from the stockroom (found under glassware).
9. Place weigh boat on scale, record weight displayed.
10. Tare weight displayed (click tare button on scale – if this button does not work, then continue with next step. Make sure you have recorded weigh boat weight, so you can subtract it to determine weight of metal).
11. Pour metal 1 onto weigh boat and record weight of metal 1 added to weigh boat.
12. Add metal from weigh boat to the graduated cylinder.
13. Record amount of metal added.
14. Record new volume.
15. Calculate the density of the metal and record.
16. Repeat for metal 2 and metal 3.
17. Identify the correct metal in provided boxes in virtual lab.
18. Take a screenshot of completed virtual lab page. For assistance taking a screenshot, refer to the following guide .
19. Submit the screenshot along with the data sheet.