To get an understanding of the theory of “intersectionality”, read: “Intersectionality – A Definition, History and Guide” – https://sisteroutrider.wordpress.com/2016/07/27/intersectionality-a-definition-history-and-guide/ (Links to an external site.)
Then watch the following TedTalk (if you did not watch it with us in class) – Urgency of Intersectionality by Kimberle Crenshaw:
Then answer the following questions in a 350-word post in ESSAY format (not numbered questions):
- Crenshaw states: “If we can’t see a problem, we can’t fix a problem” What is her point about “framing” (and visibility of a problem)?
- What example does she give regarding the Ford Motor court case and DeGraffenreid?
- What is intersectionality and why is it urgent that we adopt this frame of analysis?
- Crenshaw mentions genderism, sexism, racism, heterosexism, transphobia, xenophobia, and ablism. What do these terms mean to you, and how do they relate to intersectionality?
- What suggestions does she give at the end to address systemic gendered and racialized violence?
- How did Crenshaw’s presentation make you feel? What are your thoughts on intersectionality?