To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by Week 3, Day 7.
Discussion Question 1
Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research any one element. On the basis of your research, provide:
- An analysis of the properties of the neutral atom and its most common ion.
- An explanation of the difference between stabilities of the selected neutral atom and its most common ion.
- A description of a process in the human body that is impacted differently by the neutral atom and its most common ion.
Discussion Question 2
Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research elements and compounds. On the basis of your research, respond to the following:
- What are the differences between ionic and covalent compounds?
- Describe two ways that covalent compounds are used in the human body.
- How does the polarity of a molecule and a solvent impact solubility, and why might this be important?