Research Paper on Portland’s Identity
Length: 1600-1800 words, double-spaced.
Style: MLA style for form and citations
Topic: “Portlandness”: Some Aspect of Portland’s Identity
This term you will write a research paper on a specific aspect of Portland’s culture or identity that this city is known for. In order to create a great research topic, you should choose an area that interests you and use both the general “best city” rankings as well as a more specific ranking of your choice. In order to fully examine your topic, we will be using two texts that explore the current cultural trends in Portland. They are: Brews to Bikes by Charles Heying and Portlandness: A Cultural Atlas by David Bannis and Hunter Shobe. You must use one of these as background research for your paper.
For this project you’ll address the following questions:
· Why is Portland ranked where it is?
· Are the measures used to create the ranking valid and reliable measures?
· If there’s more than one measure used to create the ranking, are the measures given equal weight, or are some given more weight than others?
· Are there measures that weren’t used, but you think should have been used to create the ranking?
· What does Portland’s rank say about the quality of life in the city or the region, and should there be efforts to either keep the ranking where it is or change it?
1. Write a 300-500 word, double-spaced research proposal which explains the specific aspect of “Portlandness” you will investigate. This proposal should also indicate which text (Heying or Bannis/Shobe) you will use. You should indicate why this specific aspect of “Portlandness” is significant and what role it plays in how outsiders may see Portland. DUE Tuesday Jan. 23rd.
2. Create an Annotated Bibliography with at least 5 reputable/scholarly sources that are relevant to your topic. DUE Thurs. Jan.30th.
3. Write a full working draft of your paper to submit for peer review. DUE Tuesday Feb. 18th
4. Write a polished final paper to submit for a grade. DUE Tuesday Feb. 25th.
Below is a list of city rankings that may help you to choose a topic.
General Best City Ratings:
AMERICA’S FAVORITE CITIES
GAWKER BEST CITIES
BEST CITIES BY BLOOMBERG
Favorite Cities in America
Quality of Life Index
BEST BIG CITIES TO LIVE IN
LEAGUE OF AMERICAN CYCLISTS
Highest Citizen Fitness
Fittest and Fattest Cities
FOOD and DRINK
BEST FOODIE CITIES
Best Food Cities
Best Beer Cities
BEST MUSIC CITIES
VIBRANT ARTS AND CULTURE
Top Cities for Entertainment Industry
Music Scenes worth knowing
Top Soccer Cities
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Best cities for Millennials
BEST CITIES FOR 20 SOMETHINGS
BEST CITIES FOR YOUNG ADULTS
Cost of Living
TOP NORTH AMERICAN CITIES OF THE FUTURE
Most comfortable summer
Best Cities to Escape Climate Change
safe for Women
Most Courteous Drivers
BEST CITIES FOR College Educated TYPES
Smartest Cities in America
BEST CITIES FOR BOOK LOVERS
TOP LITERARY CITIES
Quirkiest Cities in AMERICA
HOBBIES AND INDENTITIES
Top CAT FRIENDLY CITIES
TOP CITIES FOR NERDS (PDX IS #2)
TOP CITIES FOR GAY CULTURE
LARGEST GAY CITY POPULATIONS
CITIES FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITES
BEST DOG CITIES https://www.estately.com/blog/2013/05/17-best-u-s-cities-for-dogs/
Top Cities for Community Service