Assume you are a nurse manager on a unit where a new nursing documentation system is to be implemented. You want to ensure that the system will be usable and acceptable for the nurses impacted. You realize a nurse leader must be on the implementation team.
· Review the steps of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and reflect on the scenario presented.
· Consider the benefits and challenges associated with involving a nurse leader on an implementation team for health information technology.
The Assignment: (3 pages)
In preparation of filling this role, develop a 2- to 3-page role description for a graduate-level nurse to guide his/her participation on the implementation team. The role description should be based on the SDLC stages and tasks and should clearly define how this individual will participate in and impact each of the following steps:
· Planning and requirements definition
· Design of the new system
· Post-implementation support
McGonigle, D., & Mastrian, K. G. (2017). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
· Chapter 9, “Systems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision Making” (pp. 175–187)
· Chapter 12, “Electronic Security” (pp. 229–242)
· Chapter 13, “Workflow and Beyond Meaningful Use” (pp. 245–261)