Earth Science Comparative Essay
“Comparative Essay Instructions
Selection of Topic
Choose 1 of the following topics for your Comparative Essay:
- Age of the earth (radioisotope dating vs. alternative methods)
- Origin of coal (swamp forests vs. marine deposition)
- Dating the rock layers seen in the Grand Canyon (old earth vs. young earth)
- The fossil record (evidence of: long periods of time vs. short periods of time)
- Mass extinctions in the fossil record (old-earth vs. young-earth)
Content and Outline
Use the following outline when writing your paper. Each point on the outline below must be a separate section (with the section heading, as indicated) within your paper.
· Indicate which topic you chose from the list above.
· Indicate the purpose of your paper (i.e., to compare old-earth and young-earth viewpoints on your chosen topic).
II. Old-Earth Secular View
· What is the old-earth secular viewpoint and the evidence supporting that viewpoint on your chosen topic? Are there assumptions that are part of this viewpoint?
o Do not discuss the old-earth creationist viewpoint on your chosen topic. For a description of old-earth creationism, go to http://www.icr.org/article/4535/.
III. Young-Earth View
· What is the young-earth viewpoint and the evidence for that viewpoint on your chosen topic? Are there assumptions that are part of this viewpoint?
IV. Comparison of the Viewpoints
· Comparison is articulating similarities between the 2 viewpoints. What are the similarities (if any) in time, sequence, and processes involved?
· Be sure to provide at least 2 similarities (comparisons) between the viewpoints.
V. Contrast of the Viewpoints
· Contrast is articulating differences between the 2 viewpoints. What are the differences (if any) in time, sequence, and processes involved?
· Be sure to provide at least 2 differences (contrasts) between the viewpoints.
· Provide a summary statement for your paper.
· Be sure to restate your purpose.
· Do not introduce new material in your conclusion.