The last several years has seen an influx of mostly women and children from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras arriving at the U.S. border. Very recently, we’ve seen an influx of entire family units arriving.
For this assignment I want us to get a better understanding why these migrants from Central American are attempting to migrate to the United States.
- The first step in this assignment is read to read a minimum of three articles that discuss why Central Americans are migrating to the U.S. You may chose any of the three articles listed below or any other articles you wish. In your post, you must cite which three articles you chose.
- Voices from the Caravan: Why These Honduran Migrants are Heading North (Volpe and Semple 2018). Can be accessed here (Links to an external site.).
- ‘More youths crossing U.S. – Mexico border alone’ by Molly Hennesey-Fiske (2014) can be accessed here (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- ‘700,000 Kids Will Show Up Alone At Our Border This Year. What Happens to Them?’ by Ian Gordon (2014) can be accessed here (Links to an external site.).
- ‘Why the Migrant Caravan Story is a Climate Change Story’ (Miller 2018). Can be accessed here (Links to an external site.)
- Central America’s Violent Northern Triangle (Labrador and Renwick (2018). Can be accessed here (Links to an external site.).
- A Century of U.S. Immigration Created the Migration Crisis (Putterman 2018). Accessed here. (Links to an external site.)
After you have read three articles about Central American migration I want you to answer the following questions in a minimum of 600 word post:
A. Do you think these Central American migrants should be classified as internationally voluntary or internationally forced migrants. Do they fit the definition of a refugee? Do you think they will be granted asylum? Are you even able to make the distinction?
B. What were the relevant push or pull factors for the Central American migrants?
C. What migration theory or theories best describes the reasons migrants are moving from Central America?”