Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
A variety of legal factors, legislative statutes, constitutional themes, and international precepts must be taken into consideration with the formulation and execution of homeland security (HLS) policies and doctrine. For this assignment, include the following:
- Provide an example that highlights the existing tension between security and protection, and between freedoms and civil liberties.
- What observations can be made within homeland security governance to reflect coordinated or fragmented efforts across the government interagency players?
- How is national decision-making and governance impacted by unity of effort, unity of command, and strategic communications?
There is a large body of literature and there are several planning documents within the field of homeland security. In your case study analysis, you will be identifying the organizations, responsibilities, and jurisdictions most likely to inform and drive homeland security considerations, while outlining the specific local, state, and federal organizational structures that have been established based on formal and informal equities in the joint military, multi-agency, and cross-governmental environment. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- What are the organizational structures in place within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Department of Defense (DOD), and adjacent interagency actors that define the national homeland security framework?
- How does this structure cascade down and shape organizational constructs at the local, state, and regional levels?
- Are the organizational structures currently in place at the national-level complementary and supportive of local, state, and regional efforts? Explain why you think this.