Discussion – Week 5
The Church of Sport
In many societies, the devotion, rituals, and attendant institutions that surround popular sports can seem like a religion in itself. Think about the sport that is most popular where you live. How is participation in the sport organized? Are there professional leagues? A national team? How do participants of or fans of the sport differentiate themselves?
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Watch both videos found in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Identify the sport in your area that is the most culturally dominant.
- Think back to your study of religious rituals, beliefs, and institutions in previous weeks.
- Reflect on the rituals, beliefs, and institutions of sports fans and culturally significant sports leagues.
By Day 3
Submit a 3- to 5-paragraph Discussion post assessing whether the dominant sport in your area might be considered “religious” based on the criteria of rituals, beliefs, and institutions. In what way do sports and religion converge? In what ways do they differ?
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond to at least one of your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Click on the Reply button below to reveal the textbox for entering your message. Then click on the Submit button to post your message.