ENGL 1020: Composition /Analysis
University of Memphis
Week #9: Drafting and Reviewing the Research Draft
This week, you are going to workshop your Researched Argument Drafts, then turn in the Completed Draft. Please note the following internal deadlines:
- Wednesday at 11:59 pm: Drafts with the “Author’s Memo” attached due to Group DropBox
- Friday at 11:59pm: “Reader Reports” due to Group DropBox
- Sunday by 11:59pm: Complete Researched Essay Draft due
Remember that this assignment requires five academic or government sources. Academic sources are found on a library database, but not everything that you find on a library database is automatically acceptable. Scholarly sources usually have some or all of the following characteristics:
- Scholarly publisher
- Credentialed author(s)
- An abstract (brief summary)
- Literature Review
Click here for more information on identifying scholarly sources.
Newspapers and magazines are NOT scholarly sources. They may be used, but in addition to the requirement of five scholarly sources. Please note this if you are citing articles from sources such as The Commercial Appeal, Memphis Daily News, The Washington Post, etc.
If you aren’t sure if a source is scholarly, you can use the library website’s “chat” feature to check with a librarian in live time!
- Reread the “Research Draft Essay Assignment” at the beginning of the Unit.
- Review “Researching Memphis: Drafting and Writing a Research Paper” pp. 391-406
- Review “What is Argument?” pp. 333-344
- Once you have a full draft, complete the “Author’s Memo” in Week #9. Upload the Memo and a copy of your draft to the Group DropBox by Wednesday at 11:59pm.
- Read your Workshop Groupmates’ essays.
- Fill out and return your “Reader’s Report” to the peers in your Workshop Group by Friday at 11:59pm.
- Read your Reader Reports and revise your Rhetorical Analysis.
- Complete Researched Essay Draft is due to the Dropbox by Sunday at 11:59 pm